Facts and Figures
- The sewer system is the foundation and the invisible infrastructure of any city. In Germany alone, it is worth 630 billion Euro.
- The public sewer network in Germany amounts to 570,000 km, with an additional 1.2 million km of privately owned sewer network.
- Estimates suggest the public sewer network in EU is as long as 3 million km.
Need for Inspection
- Timely detected damages can be repaired for a reasonable cost.
- However, undetected damages can lead to:
- Blockages in the sewer canal
- ground water contamination
- Infrastructure damages, specifically washed out streets, bridges etc.
- Which can eventually endanger life of people as well as lead to destruction of property.
Current State of Inspection
Currently manual video inspection is the industry norm, which means huge amounts of data needs to be inspected that can lead to challenges such as: